there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Friday, January 9, 2009

Lone Woman

You would think that by now I would be able to competently manage being a single mom while Ben is TDY. After all, I survived him being in the U.A.E. for five months--why am I having such a hard time this week? (One week, really? It's only been a week?) The house is in it's usual state of disarray, we've had at least one hot meal and usually two per day, and J is packed and ready for youth conference tonight. I'm even caught up with laundry (washed, not yet folded) and yet I'd have to categorize this week as a dismal failure all because of my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad attitude.

It's totally normal for kids to make messes, neglect to do jobs and homework and on a normal week I simply remind them to do said jobs and responsibilities and it eventually gets done. However, I have been short-tempered and yelled more than once this week with the end result of sullen kids being sent to bed early.

One day the logical part of me will remember that being calm results in more getting done. One day. . . Today!

3 comments:

Haymonds said...

Just try to remember that they suffer with him gone, too. And hey, I've only got one and sometimes I yell!! And he can't even help it, he doesn't know any better yet. So you're doing fine. Doing better is a good thing, though.

JoEllen said...

You sound like me. It's not like any one of those things is super hard, but all of it together is relentless.

Liz said...

Don't be afraid to call in reinforcements! You don't have to do it by yourself. :)

Blog Archive