there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

going back in time

As a child I loved to visit my grandparents. Stepping out of the car at the end of a long trip suffuses all with a sense of relief, but my strongest memories of these visits are the smells. Last week we visited my Broadbent grandparents and the smell of their home--the mimosa tree out front brought back so many memories. Trying to explain that California and Colorado just smell 'different' than Oregon didn't make much sense to my siblings at the time, or my siblings right now, but for me the smells of Davis take me back in time.

4 comments:

Liesl said...

Oh, no. Smells mean so much. Sometimes in a very disgusting way. But sometimes I get nostalgic at a certain smell, whether it's an old book, or the smell of spring coming, or perhaps of other happy times in my life. I understand completely.

Haymonds said...

Now this is super weird, but for me it's the water. Water at G&G's was soft and had a distinct taste, as did the water in Redmesa. Maybe that's because my sniffer is often indisposed....

SladeMomma said...

I loved seeing the picture of Grandpa Broadbent. You probably know that I grew up as backyard neighbors (with a gate in the fence) with Francis and Pauline. One of my favorite memories of Pauline is her directing the music in sacrament meeting (for many, many years) and especially how she'd push the baton on "Put your shoulder to the wheel, PUSH along." I'm always tempted to copy her.

Lorana said...

YES!!!! The air has a disctinct smell to it. Great picture of Grandpa. It wasn't until recently that I found out that Davis is a garden of Eden because the soil is so great. That's why all the trees (and sunflowers) are so happy and therefore HUGE. I'm glad you got to visit Davis before taking off.

Blog Archive