there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The agony of defeat

Me first!
I live my life in a state of constant competition.  Or, so it seems were you to listen in to the near-constant chatter from my 3-year-old.   Cries of:  "I win!", "I beat ya", or "I run a fifty miles!" provide the background noise I am accustomed to tuning out.  All my boys are relatively competitive, but No seems to take this to it's ridiculous extreme; it matters not if we are strolling along the bike path or getting a drink from the faucet, he is always the fastest, first and the winner.   It is amusing because he is so young, and so clearly deluded, but hopefully as we teach him to value being kind and compassionate over being first he will grow out (or learn to pretend he has grown out of) his first instinct to declare his supremacy over all. 



At least that's what I keep telling myself. 

No comments:

Blog Archive