there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Overwhelmed

It's been a rough week.  I suppose the natural human impulse is to ask: "why?" when faced with senseless suffering and I've certainly felt that a great deal this week with Alice's death.  And then, when I think more about it, would I feel better even if I knew why?  Could I even truly understand from my limited perspective?   Overwhelming stress makes me into a couch potato, surfing the internet mindlessly, looking to lose the stress by losing my train of depressing thought.  Imagine my surprise to come across this quote by my aunt:

"the Atonement is infinite.  The ocean is endless; the waves constant.  Eventually, every hole, every gorge will disappear without a trace, no matter how ravaged the landscape, through the Atonement of Jesus Christ."  Sally B Palmer, 'Clothed with Charity'  Talks from the 1996 Women's Conference  BYU press, p 122-123. 

2 comments:

E B said...

Whoa, cool! Thanks for sharing.

Lorana said...

Sometimes I feel surrounded by people who seem to have it all together, who understand perfectly the broader perspective that the gospel provides, and who don't need to take it easy after something rough happens. It kind of drives me nuts and makes me wonder if I'm some sort of psycho. I'd like to ask THEM to explain the logic behind what happened last week, although you're right- I'm not sure it would help anything. I'm hard-pressed to come up with a worse scenario for losing a spouse- this is just so hard on so many levels. And I never even got to meet Alice!

Blog Archive