there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Monday, April 27, 2015

Jerran's mission

Since some of you have asked how the boy is doing, here's an update:  

First off, please write him!   His birthday is coming up in a few weeks.  

  jerran.cook@myldsmail.net and letters can be sent to
 Elder Cook Alaska Anchorage Mission
 3250 Strawberry Road Anchorage, Alaska 99502


1 April he left us for the MTC . Nae picked him up, he had brunch with Nae and the Haymonds and then, was dropped at the MTC.  Nae said he seemed ready to go to work.  He spent only 10 days in Provo, managed to rip his only pair of jeans.  

His descriptions of the MTC are less than positive, since he is a fairly introverted guy and having a bunch of guys around who never shopped talking, even when he put his earplugs in at the end of the night. .. . I'm sure you can imagine his frustration.  Also, he felt that they didn't use their time efficiently, and as zone leader this made him feel worried, etc.  Can you say type A?  Also, holy stream of consciousness letters!

Week 1 letter:

So the first week was great I studied a whole bunch and learned all about how to teach as opposed to what to teach. The experiences with primary and seminary were important in preparing for life in my companionship and district. Our district is composed of a group of very personable Elders and Sisters and as such they tend to share everything. . .  I sorely want alone time since even during our temple visit this morning my companion talked as soon as we reached the celestial room and we sat for only a few minutes before we moved outside to talk louder (and with the sisters) for the next forty five minutes. I did get to see Vocal Point perform Sunday evening which was fun but odd since they sang 12 days of Christmas and some other non hymns in addition to a few hymns although they were accompanied by piano for nearer my god to thee.  My the spirit continue to assist me.

2nd letter:

So I really miss the family including the cat and especially the alone time. I got stuck with a group of extroverts who expect me to participate actively in all conversations at least the talk over me so I do not need to talk for long including in every lesson my companionship has taught. . . .  And the fact that we are horrible with time management will drive me crazy. . . .  I wish I could stay at the MTC longer to learn how to teach well and use our resources such as planners which the rest of the district thinks I am crazy.  So guess who stupidly only packed on pair of jeans yeah this kid they ripped before I could even use them for service so I wore sweats. I wish I had taken my choir folder because all we have is hymns and I want to keep learning other song and I cannot quite remember parts for This is the Christ or Come thou font. If you could email sheet music that would be awesome (and maybe send jeans to Anchorage). I miss you guys lots tell my siblings and the cat I love them and remember I love you lots.


1 april we dropped the boy at the ABQ sunport

The next week we got a one line email telling us he had arrived in AK.  Then these pictures arrived from the mission president.




J, President and Sister Robinson


The next week he told us he's in Fairbanks and freezing.  He asked for us to send him music CD's as long as they are 'churchy'.  I think he is starting to feel a little discouraged since he thought he'd be teaching and mostly has been knocking doors.  And freezing.  His companion is a former bodybuilder who will not eat carbs, so our bread-loving boy is wondering what they are going to eat.  Especially since he had to pay for his luggage and hasn't been reimbursed yet so he has no money for food.  (except I noticed some charges on his debit card for his personal checking account so at least he isn't being silly and starving himself when he has other resources)


Fairbanks isn't a terribly large city, but it is the second largest in Alaska.  Temps are still below freezing in the nighttime, which only lasts from 10pm to 5:30 am.  I suspect the sunshine at that latitude isn't all that strong, though.  

Haven't heard from the boy yet today.  Probably got eaten by a bear.  





3 comments:

Jayne said...

So, how's a certain Mom doing, now that her boy is out there in the world being all grown up and Elder and stuff??

Liz said...

Love the updates! I'm sure he'll perk up once he gets a little more settled into his routine. :) Thanks for the address too--we'll definitely send him a letter for his birthday!

Joyful said...

A certain mom is. . . feeling deeply weird about her 'baby' being old enough to be kind of on his own.

Blog Archive