there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

On the road again

Our trip first took us from rainy Germany to snowy Switzerland, where we explored Lucerne's pedestrian district and the Christmas market. I've now been to Christmas markets in 3 countries, France, Germany, and Switzerland. We stayed in a hotel right next to the river and enjoyed the lovely views. Sadly, the snow didn't stop once we were again on the road and even our magic tunnel failed to produce sunshine until very close to the Italian border.

Lunch was a fun adventure in getting lost in the industrial district of Genova, finding a trattoria full of old men, and having an amazing meal. If I thought I could find that place again, I'd go there in a heartbeat. As it was, we had to push on to Camp Darby and the beds of sleeplessness. Luckily, there was a commissary and Bx so retail therapy calmed the grumpy, sleepless Joy.

Naples was worlds nicer than we'd been led to believe, and the abundant sunshine was amazing. How sad is it when the kids, emerging into daylight, all flinch away from the sun and complain it is blinding them?

I won Italian Bingo on the drive to Pompeii, by observing five cars passing one another on a 3 lane road, and we were helpfully informed(after we paid to park) by our parking attendant that there was a strike closing Pompeii until 10. At ten, the note on the gates said it would open at 11, and when we returned, we found a helpful guide, Guido, who took us on a tour. Unlike Rome, the sites we've seen on this trip have charged our kids full price (except Noah, who is still free). We loved Pompeii, despite the wind and threatening rain. Actually, just before we got there, a pillar had fallen in the wind. We didn't make it to the archeological museum, but instead had the bestest pizza I've ever had. Seriously, I've had dreams about that pizza.

$20 in laundry later, we packed up and headed to Florence, where we rented an apartment so we could cook over Christmas (and the day after, which is a holiday). Ben and I headed straight to the Academia to see the David, and ease my guilty conscience that I failed to see it on our last Italy trip. Florence is covered in graffiti wherever you look, there are few signs telling you where to go, and tourists everywhere. It's not my favourite Italian city. Luckily on Christmas eve there were very few tourists so we saw the Medici palace, the Uffizi, and the museum which holds Galileo's finger bones without waiting in any lines. Plus the Duomo and lots of leather stalls.

I think the biggest difference on this trip, is I feel like we've not met anyone friendly here. The museums are old and neglected-looking and there is no such thing as a family pass. If I had it to do over, I'd spend more time in Naples, or spend a few days in Rome and only stay in Florence a night or two. Oh well, live and learn!

No comments:

Blog Archive