there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Monday, October 12, 2009

blahbidibibbidy

The autobahn has no billboards. Actually, the only place you really see billboards is in the city (in our case, the 'city' would be Kaiserslautern)

I don't ever remember how to close ellipses

Even when I am bombing down the autobahn at 160 there will be someone coming along behind me even faster, blinking lights to tell me to get my slow self OVER.

The dial tone sounds different here, I wonder if I'd even recognize a busy signal?

Phone mail is really challenging when the instructions are all in German.

I love, love, love hearing the church bells every day at 11am and 6pm. It's just so. . . something.

All the -bach, -den, -sten, -ern, and -weiler named towns blend together in my head.

It only has taken us two months to realize that the sign by the fountain: Kein Trinkwasser means you shouldn't drink the water.

The lady at the bakery told Birgit that Ben is simply adorable. Even bald, he's adorable!

Most sidewalks are brick rather than poured concrete. Ben says it's for drainage purposes.

Rolling a stroller over cobblestones sounds cool. It sounds even cooler when the cobbles are loose--but the best sound is the van over loose cobblestones.

4 comments:

Haymonds said...

That was fun!! It's nice to get the weird little tidbits you're experiencing over there. Miss you lots, though. We should chat sometime.

SladeMomma said...

Are the kids attending an American school?

Joyful said...

Yes, the kids are in an American DODDS (department of defense dependents school) school. We're hoping that by next year they will have learned enough German to function in a local school, but we'll see!

Jaynespace said...

Ok, you keep really putting my move to Canada in perspective. I hope you're not too lonely over there, and I'm glad we get to hear about it.

When my husband was in Germany, he kept thinking "einbahn" was the name of his street at first.

Blog Archive