there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cub Camp

no more archery for Joyful
Last week I made the tactical mistake of volunteering for cub scout camp.  Monday was volunteer training, and I volunteered to 'help' out with science only to be handed a printed out 'experiment' (dancing spaghetti) to try with the boys.  This was supposed to fill 3 days of science classes for 50 boys?  Being the type-A person I am, this was completely unacceptable and I planned 3 days of fun curriculum that actually taught SCIENCE.  (I know, the boys only come to camp to shoot BB's, so I'm silly to care so much).

I know I'm not supposed to brag, but science class totally rocked.  Even the Tiger cubs learned the steps to the scientific method, and I was scolded by scouts when I was carrying my metal umbrella in the thunderstorm Wednesday.  THEY PAID ATTENTION AND LEARNED STUFF!   By the end of Thursday I had 3 helpers who wanted to join the cool science class, and on Friday more than one cub was mad at me that we didn't have science class.  You know what?  I'm a good teacher!

On the other hand, I am not good at things requiring coordination.  See the bruise on my arm?  This was from my attempt to shoot at the archery range.   And, while I was not the only leader to end up with a bruise, mine was the most colorful and biggest.  At least I win at klutz?

5 comments:

E B said...

Way to go! I'm a science teacher, I mean I was before kids. I applaud you!

Haymonds said...

Miss my klutzy sis :). (not me, I'm uber-coordinated. Really.)

hyrum slade said...

sweet bruise. Lucky you're tougher than an olympian!

Turfdad said...

Dang, that's not a bruise, that's a birthmark!

Jaynespace said...

Yes, but you look so mighty in that picture.

Blog Archive