there’s nothing wrong with kids that trying to reason with them won’t make worse

Thursday, July 28, 2011

learning I am a bad mother

Our week at the Hinterbrand Lodge was a learning one for me.  First off, I have a terrible time counting up to 5--Jerran was at EFY so we only had 5 of our kids with us and my brain had a mini-panic every time we got into the car or headed off for a new destination.  For now I am blaming my age.  Old Joy can't handle changes, apparently.  Or perhaps it is cosmically destined that I have six children so I am wired to count to six?  Which one makes me less lame?

We had a family join us from Italy and the Italian sunshine has blissfully erased their memories of what German weather was like, so they forgot coats and wore shorts.  Because my husband over-prepares for EVERYTHING we had lots of extra coats, sweatshirts and warm clothes to loan to them.  More than once I had a case of mistaken identity when borrowed clothing was on a non-Cook child.  So, not only do I call my own children by the wrong name (proof # 5,645 that I am becoming my mother) but I can't even recognize other people's kids if they are wearing my kids' clothing.  

I also rubbed my kids' faces in the fact that I was faster than all of them on the sommeroldebahn.  Trying to cause another accident out of competitiveness, Joy?

Also, even though I organized this entire week and really, really love all the people who were up there with us, I was incredibly annoyed at my husband the first day when he was getting together a large group to tour the Kehlsteinhaus with us.  Mama needs her alone time, and I get cranky if I don't remember to put on my big girl pants and just ASK for some.  (Joy is working on using her words)  Luckily I got to sit on top of the mountain for a while and watch the birds and giggle at the lederhosen on the tourists and internal equilibrium was restored.  Also, I got a nap the next day so happy Joy made a reappearance.

And then, we hit 3 staus (traffic jams) on the way home.  I whined.  You'd think that someone who just had a wonderful vacation in the incredibly beautiful Bavarian Alps would be more grateful for her life.  You'd think so, wouldn't you?  What a great example for my kids!

Ah well, thank goodness tomorrow is another day.  

1 comment:

Lorana said...

I do the SAME THING and just keep my mouth shut when I want something to happen or whatever. Why is that? Also, I find that my kids' brain cells were donated directly to them by ME and they don't grow back, so I better not have ten kids or else there will be a negative amount left in my own head. So I applaud you for having six kids AND remembering to get dressed in the morning.

Blog Archive